In this blog post, we'll take a look at how alt text can help improve your Instagram SEO by adding alt text on Instagram and why it's so important.
You've probably heard that alt text is important for SEO. After all, it's one of the main factors that search engines use to determine what your images are about.
But what you may not know is that alt text can also be important for social media platforms like Instagram.
What is Alt Text?
Alt text, or alternative text, is a piece of HTML code that is used to describe an image.
Here is sample code of alt tag in HTML;
<img src="Yourimage.png" alt=This is awesome alternative text" class="Image class"/>
It is important for two main reasons:
first, it helps search engines understand what an image is about; and second, it helps people with visual impairments understand what an image is about.
How Does Alt Text Help SEO?
When it comes to SEO, images are worth a thousand words. But in order for search engines like Google to know what those words are, you need to use alt text.
Alt text allows you to control what information Google assigns to your images, which can help improve your website's visibility in image search results.
In addition, using keywords in your alt text can also help your website rank higher in regular web search results.
Why Is Alt Text Important for Instagram?
Although Instagram is primarily a visual platform, it still uses algorithms to determine what content to show users. And one of the factors that these algorithms take into account is the alt text associated with each image.
That means that if you want your content to be seen by as many people as possible, you need to make sure that you're using relevant and keyword-rich alt text.
In addition, given that more than 400 million people use Instagram every day, there's a good chance that at least some of them are searching for content related to your business or industry.
And if you're not using alt text on your images, you're missing out on a valuable opportunity to reach potential customers.
How to Add ALT-Text on Instagram Existing post
If you have already posted images without adding alt text, don't worry!
You can add it retroactively by editing the caption of your post.
To do this, simply go to the post in question and tap Three dots in the top-right corner;
and click on "edit";
From there, click on "accessibility" settings and type your keyword or alt-text into the input box;
Now click on "Done" and you will be good to go.
On Mobile App
On mobile Instagram app, browse through your missing alt-text posts and and open that specific post and click on 3 dots icon on the right corner;
Then Tap on edit from popup menu;
Then Tap on "alt-text" option hovering on the image like below;
Now write your alt-text for your post and Tap on "Done" to save the same.
How to Add Alt Text On Instagram Before Posting
If you want to make sure that your images are properly optimized from the get-go, you can add alt text before posting them on Instagram.
To do this, simply select the image you want to upload and tap "Edit." From there, select "Advanced Settings" and add your alt text in the "Description" field.
Best Practices for Alt Text on Instagram
Now that you know how important alt text is for Instagram, let's take a look at some best practices for using it:
- Keep it short and sweet: When writing alt text, be sure to keep it short and to the point. In general, two to three sentences is more than enough.
- Use keywords wisely: When choosing keywords for your alt text, be sure to use them wisely. Don't stuff your alt text with keywords just for the sake of it; instead, focus on using them in a way that sounds natural and makes sense in the context of your image.
- Make it relevant: As with all things Instagram, relevance is key. Be sure that your alt text is relevant to the image you're sharing and to the overall theme of your account.
- Use unique alt text for each image: One common mistake people make when using alt text is using the same text for all of their images. However, it's important to remember that each image is different and should be treated as such. As such, be sure to use unique alt text for each image you share.
- Keep it updated: As your business grows and evolves, so too will your images. And as your images change, so too should your alt text. So, be sure to keep your alt text up-to-date to ensure that it accurately reflects the content of your images.
By following these best practices, you can help ensure that your images are properly optimized for both Instagram and SEO. And as a result, you'll be able to reach more people and grow your business.
Also read, Google Images SEO in 2022: Best Practices
More Instagram Resources
If you're not using alt text on your Instagram images, you're missing out on a valuable opportunity to improve your SEO and reach potential customers. So make sure to take a few minutes to add alt text to all of your images—it could make a big difference for your business!
Raman is a digital marketing expert with over 8 years of experience. He has a deep understanding of various digital marketing strategies, including affiliate marketing. His expertise lies in technical SEO, where he leverages his skills to optimize websites for search engines and drive organic traffic. Raman is passionate about staying up-to-date with the latest industry trends and sharing his knowledge to help businesses succeed in the online world.